Monday, May 10, 2010

Our Rosary Bed



You pressed your hand against the glass
and prayed for the Lord to save us.
Forgive me, Sister, for I have sinned
It has been 10 years, 3 months, 6 days, my 11th hour.
Since that time, when I did that thing...you know...
Now, at 24...
Locked behind paint split doors, unwashed hair pushed
from a furrowed forehead.



Please, hang a rosary
Hold it taut against my throat,
Sacrificial angel,
Let me into heaven
Let me breathe cracked relief
Make me pretty and clean
Brush the dirt from each my cheek
Wash blood from each my knee.



Blessed rose petals
In satin pink
Tiny saints in crystal boxes,
stained glass held against each wrist
Six Hail Marys and eight Our Fathers
You're fine, I promised,
At least, I had hoped I could promise.



But the guilt grew tall like lilacs
And the vines took both my ankles
Ivy at my waist
Tightened its grip
Pulled me down
Through the ground, through the earth,
down to where you live now.

No comments: